Man-wai Chang wrote:
>> queries in the command-line MySQL client. If it works there but not
>> through mysqli_query() then you might have a case for asking here.
>
> For the 13081 chinese alphabets I tried, only 1 one failed, and it's
> 0x9f54. mysqli_query() should have escaped the string for me.

mysqli_query() doesn't escape anything for you - your assumption that
it *should* is WRONG.

try this: http://php.net/manual/en/function.mysqli-real-escape-string.php

> So ...
>
> I suppose most PHP programmers are also experts in MySQL (they are
> basically tied).

incorrect supposition. most php programmers have experience using
RDBMs because of the dynamic nature of the websystems they build.

mysql and php and not tied at all .. they just happen to be used together
frequently.