Daevid Vincent wrote:
c, could you be having a problem related to the allow_url_fopen ini setting?
Now we're talkin!

Okay, I made sure that allow_url_fopen and allow_url_include are both "on".
Verified via phpinfo();

Still no luck. :-\

However, this sparked an idea...

I have been using my WinXP and IE to hit my Gentoo notebook running
apache2/php/etc. (samba mounting the /home/machine/... to edit the files)

When I fired up KDE and hit the EXACT same pages (which are now local), they magically worked!

So now the question is, what setting do I have to change in my php.ini file to get remote requests to work?
I'm not following what you mean by local and remote and when your considering something to be one or the other.

(locutus) Gentoo/Notebook/Apache/PHP/Samba

(gabriel) WinXP/IDE/IE6

All the code sits on locutus. I samba share the directory so can edit in my
HomeSite IDE on gabriel. I edit my 'hosts' file (on both machines) to point
at the proper IP (172.16.35.223 machine.locutus.com) setting up a vhost on
locutus, etc...

I can make the initial connection to client.php. I can do most anything
(php, mysql, htaccess, etc), as locutus is a webserver -- I use this method
to develop a dozen sites, all work flawlessley.

You follow so far? This should be a pretty normal setup. Nothing fancy here.

So, as stated in previous post.

If I use gabriel to access http://machine.locutus.com, I can get to any of
the individual pages related to this SOAP exercise (server.php, .wsdl,
client.php, etc.). The problem is that the client.php can't make a
server.php call though, and throws that exception.

Now, to add to my confusion and simultaneiously lets me know that my actual
CODE is working, as per the spark above, I fired up KDE on locutus. Then I
hit the exact same URL, and pinch my ass and call me Charlie, the SOAP
example works.

SAME EXACT CODE. SAME EXACT FILES. SAME EXACT URLS.
Something in PHP land (php.ini) seems to be horking me.

I had a co-worker put my code on his linux (debian) box, and he could then
connect from his XP to the URL and it worked for him too (even using
https://).

You might be thinking, well just diff the php.ini files and see. Not so easy
my friend. They're not condusive to that. And we tried to eyeball what we
could, but didn't see anything obvious.

I thought for sure allow_url_fopen and allow_url_include were my silver
bullets here, but they're 'On' in both php.ini files (his and mine).

windows firewall springs to mind but I can't tell if it could even be involved from your current description.

Windows Firewall should not be an issue here b/c the soap requests are
originating from locutus to locutus -- the files are in the same directory.
SOAP (at this stage) is only an exercise -- it's not making any remote calls
across a network.

Daevid,

I am by no means an expert on this, but I know that when we've had
issues with running some scripts, we had to look into the Linux
security settings.  We're running SE Linux (Red Hat) and that shuts
down a lot of the remote access.  When we were trying to get some CURL
scripts working, we had to temporarily disable the Linux firewall so
that we could track the calls in the messages log.  Then we could see
what the required privileges were and set things up appropriately.

I don't know if Gentoo has anything like that or if you have any of the
security stuff turned on, but you might want to check the equivalent of
the messages log in Gentoo and see if that's where you're being blocked.

Lori