# [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2007-04-11 23:44:16 -0700:
> Paul Scott wrote:
> >On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 23:22 -0700, Jim Lucas wrote:
> >
> >>Has anybody else seen this style of syntax?
> >>
> >http://5ive.uwc.ac.za/index.php?module=blog&action=viewsingle&postid=init_8059_1163957717&userid=5729061010
> >
> >I don't think that its really useful for anything, except maybe creating
> >overly complex SQL queries.

> well, I guess the better question is, is why when I talk others about oop,
> they say that this style of syntax is OOP, and anything else is not.

*What* style of syntax?  "Syntax" is grammar, a set of rules, the
"visible" part of a programming language, something you either follow or
you get a parse error.  To which grammar are you referring?

> be it dot notation or the pointers (->) in php.

Having "primitive" types, including literals, behave like instances
of a class helps writing object-oriented code, because you don't have
to special case.  It's not required, however.  You can write o-o code
in today's PHP, it just won't be purely "objective".

> I heard it called messaging at one point in the past.
>
> the passing up of information in the tree.

Different people use different metaphors.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.