what I'm looking for is something that will make it possible for an end user
to merge [the contents] existing language files (that contain the items for the
same language)
*and* perform translations between languages in a visual/easy way (i.e. without
opening
a text editor) but end up with lang files that still formatted and commented
when I'm done.

it's a three step process:

1. 'parse' 2 files: a 'reference' and a 'translation' file
2. display an editing interface for the 2 files (textareas, filtering [e.g.
show only
untranslated items], sorting, etc)
3. write out a merged/updated file.

probably the merging of 2 existing lang files of the same language will require
a seperate interface than the translation/comparison of 2 files containing
different
languages.

I have made a half-assed attempt to do this some years ago and it worked ok
but wasn't quite the level of sophistication I desired  - If no one has
anything like
this lying around then I guess it's time for me to hack up a new thingummy,
using var_export()/print_r() [and running the code to merge, etc] won't cut it
(I've been down that road already) so probably I'm looking
at using either the tokenizer (although how exactly is something I'd have to
look into)
or a combination of preg_match()/preg_replace() (which is something I am
confident
I can now do to the required level - when I tried before my regexp skills sucked
too much).

I'm quite sure I make it work, but I'd be surprised if no-one has gone before me
- there must be tons of projects out there with the same kind of language file
structure ...

maybe I should consider moving my 'shit' into gettext format.