On Fri, April 13, 2007 5:48 pm, Micky Hulse wrote:
>> Actually, dreamhost is only the primary, and there's a fail-safe
>> roll-over to another box if dreamhost goes down. (again)
>
> Ahhhhhhh, hehe. Good call on the backup server. I have never built a
> big
> enough site to where I needed a backup server "just in case." Probably
> very good idea though. :)
>
> Thanks fo ryou reply Richard, I greatly appreciate the help!

Oddly enough, it's not that "big" a site.

They pay me in food and beer, actually.

But there was this small issue of having about 400 Gigs of audio (and
counting) that needed to "pretend" to live on a 500 Meg webhost, so I
had to build the caching N-tier thing anyway.

It originally used a box in my apartment on my cable-modem as the
back-end.  Note that we're talking artists nobody ever heard of, and a
Slashdot effect would get cached in the front-end tier, so that's not
as horrible as it sounds...

I moved it to the T-1 once they switched to VOIP for their phone system.

Anyway, once I had the N-tier thing, I figured it was just as easy to
build a second one on Dreamhost as it was to find some way to backup
400 Gigs of mp3s in an environment that could be called "chaotic" at
best...

Ground coffee spilled all over the audio server is when I decided we
really really should have more of a backup plan than the 10,000 CDRs
scattered through my disaster commonly known as an apartment, and I
bit the bullet and added Dreamhost as the backup.

I switched to Dreamhost as the primary and the T-1 is the backup, so
the cafe free wifi users would be less inconvenienced by audio
listeners.

Don't ask me how the dang thing just kept chugging along with coffee
grinds all in it, but it did... :-v

The network hub has a nice "streaky" look as if it's been in a fire
too, from the coffee I dusted off of that.

I put a note on the computer telling people not to put anything (like
sample bags of coffee) on top of it any more, so we'll see how that
goes...

It's very much cobbled-together on a shoestring budget, and if I die,
I feel sorry for whoever inherits it...  But whaddaya want for
food/beer pay?

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?