Mom!  Dad!  Please don't fight!

= = = Original message = = =

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 22:04 -0500, Larry Garfield wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 April 2007 9:54 pm, Robert Cummings wrote:
> >
> > You say "Using tables for layout *is* a hack". Unfortunately for you
> > tables were intended for laying out tabular data. Thank you, thank you
> > very much.
>
> Tabular data != 4 column page layout.
>
> Tabular data = records and fields.  Come on, you've used SQL.  That's a
> table.
> Sidebars are not tables.

*hehe* I didn't see any reference to a 4 column layout (or 3 as is more
common). I thought you were generalizing ;)

The last I'll say on this is if the chisel has a chipped blade and you
can't buy another chisel, sometimes you need to make do with what's
available. CSS while very useful, very powerful, and something I do
advocate, has chips in it due to ambiguity not originally addressed by
the standards group, bugs in the browser implementations, and I daresay
active opposition to implementation of the standards by one very large
software vendor. It's time will come, but IMHO it's not a perfect
solution yet, and in some cases tables just get the job done quicker and
cleaner.

Obviously this is a religious type question, so the argument process is
likely to go around and around in circles. Some argue the use of CSS
hacks, some argue the use of traditional tables. Yet others propose
using the well supported CSS rules. Unfortunately the first two options
are by personal choice/preference, and the last isn't always on the
table.

Cheers,
Rob.