On Wed, April 18, 2007 10:46 am, Jonathan Kahan wrote:
> Can PHP be used to generate an excel file that A) Contains Macros B)
> Allows
> Graphics to be attached C) where cells can contain borders as well as
> cells
> being merged. I know there is some PHP excel functionality so i am
> assume
> basics like underlines, italics and i am hoping vertical alignments
> can be
> done.

If it's running under Windows, you could probably fire up Excel as a
COM object and do anything Excel can do.

As for the excel-writer package[s] "out there" you'd probably find out
faster/accurate-er by researching them in their documentation or their
own forums rather than here.

> If the answer is no, then can a template that has all of these be
> opened and
> read using php where all that needs to be done is simply place in
> certain
> cells whatever values it is that I want to place.

Possibly.

Another option might be to have PHP spit out CSV and have an excel
macro/scripty thing to suck in the CSV and fill in the cells like a
mail-merge.

I have to ASSUME Excel has something like that feature, somewhere in
that mess of dialogs, after all these years...

> Lastly, do only newer versions of PHP contain excel/pdf functionality?

libPDF has been around for a lonnnnnnng time.

Like I think I was using it in PHP3 days.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?