smrsh itself may disallow symlinks.  Wouldn't surprise me.

Why not just use #!/usr/bin/php -q at the top of your PHP script?

Something else to my previous answer.
Here is the answer of the sendmail guys. Maybe they are still right? Would PHP have a problem to handle symlinked input files? I have the security mode disabled in the php.ini file.
Thanks,
Daniel

----

This is a poor place to find an answer, because the one thing that
stands out is that this is a problem with php, not Sendmail, and this is
a Sendmail newsgroup not a php newsgroup.  Your  dangerously outdated
version of php is running and emitting an error ("No input file
specified.") that doesn't make sense outside of php, but probably
indicates special handling done by php when given a symlink instead of a
regular file.

Looking at the output there, I'd *guess* that you have php set up wrong
for this sort of use. I'm not a php expert, so I won't try to guess at a
fix.