Sancar, Tijnema, Logan, Richard,

Thank you all for your replies.

I kind of suspected that this was a client side issue. But I thought it was worth fishing for ideas since there are many on this list who are a lot smarter about PHP than I am.

I might adopt something similar to Logan's $path solution, if it ends up looking more friendly than a full path name. That will be dependent on a few other settings in the code.

Sancar, I appreciate where you are coming from in that designers shouldn't be afraid of having to write a simple path. However, I'm not so much trying to protect them from knowing stuff. It's more that I want to be able for a web site administrator to be able to open a directory for FTP access to a designer so that the designer won't have access to the rest of the site's files. For security's sake. In such an instance, the designer won't know where his directory is, and ideally wouldn't have to know.

Richard, I've looked into Joomla, Wikipedia, and Wordpress, and actually I think templates are a terrible idea. My system is going to avoid templates as a design solution. Who knows, maybe one day people will like my approach better. Or maybe not. In any case, I think I've got an approach that may suit the needs of some better than the other systems. At the very least, I like it (insert emoticon here).

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn