Nathan Wallis wrote:
Howdy.

I have an application in windows that I am running with a PHP page using
exec  ("start......

I am wondering as to the efficiency of such a statement and how taxing it is
on the server.  If multiple people access a page with such a statement, what
toll does it take on the server and is there a better way to manage calls to
the server side executable?  When this statement is called a command prompt
window appears for the duration of the execution.  I am guessing it would be
possible to crash the server if thousands of these processes we created at
around the same time....just anyone experience would be greatly appreciated.

I think you can probably stop that from happening (no idea how - maybe ask the php-windows list), but it depends on what happens in that command prompt.

If you're doing a simple thing, then it won't do much. If you're doing a database dump or something else I/O and/or processor intensive, of course it's going to take a toll on the server (regardless of the operating system).

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/