Al wrote:

I'm looking for a shared host with an up-to-date php5, and one who at least tries to keep it relatively current.

Needs are modest.  Just need good ftp access, cgi-bin, shell, etc.

I'll throw my plug in here for Pair Networks too. Sure, you can get cheaper, but they run a really tight ship there - great network, great servers, great support. Have been with them since 1996 (!!) and they've been brilliant all this time and I've now plans on leaving.

They're about to roll-out PHP 5.2.2 across all of their servers too. And if their 'usual' accounts are too expensive, they've just launched this:

http://www.pairlite.com

Which is only $10 / month and I'd wager perfect for what you need.

Cheers,

Rich
--
Zend Certified Engineer
http://www.corephp.co.uk

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out of a window"