On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 20:35 -0500, Greg Donald wrote:
> > I am in the process of adding a part to my website which would include
> > pictures, pdf files, txt files, and excel files.  The files sizes
> > could be anywhere on average of 100k to 2mb.  Do you think I should be
> > uploading the files to a MySQL database or to my server?
>

> http://www.zend.com/zend/trick/tricks-sept-2001.php?id=342
>
> [snip]
> cuts performance by approximately a third
> [/snip]

Sure, if you use database file storage in the naive way described in the
document. But I'm quite certain a database stored binary file dispensed
to multiple servers that keep a locally cached copy for subsequent
requests beats NFS retrieval hands down. Sure, you could do the same
caching with the NFS file but then the solution is quite likely just as
good as the database storage solution. So the 1/3 performance penalty is
for the naive solution.

Cheers,
Rob.