I need to write a script which extracts information POSTed by a
non-browser client, and stores it on the server.  With a browser client
I could upload from with <input type="file"> form elements and use the
PHP upload functions, but using a browser at the client end is not an
option here.

According to the w3c docs, POSTed  content is sent in the "request
entity body".  Since the request has a header, it's logical that it can
have a body too :-) but I don't see any PHP functionality for getting at
it. Someone in another group suggested accessing a variable called
$HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA, but that doesn't seem to exist when I POST data to
either of my test systems, which are Linux/Apache or Win98/PWS.

PHP itself must be able to extract the POSTed data - it does so when
saving a POSTed file to its temporary location - but this function don't
seem to be exposed in the API... is it?

Thanks for any wisdom!
nik