On 5/23/07, Crayon Shin Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thursday 24 May 2007 00:51, Greg Donald wrote:

> As I watch PHP de-evolve into Java, I find myself wanting something
> lighter weight and with a smaller syntax.

PHP has long since spawned into something uncontrollable. Compare the
number of functions (and its aliases) to eg Ruby. The string functions in
particular are absolutely bloated, eg ltrim, trim & rtrim - WTF. Why not
just have trim() and have the option of specifying whether
left/right/both? The same goes for the case-sensitive and
case-insensitive versions of functions.

--
Crayon

Yeah, for case-insensitive functions would a bool be a lot better,
like the strstr function, the current syntax is (also for the
case-insensitive function stristr):
string strstr ( string $haystack, string $needle )
It would be a lot better to have it like this:
string strstr ( string $haystack, string $needle, bool $case_sensitive )

The trim functions are fine for me..

Tijnema