On 5/24/07, Rahul Sitaram Johari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You may have something here.
Problem is, I don't know how to mess with how & under what user Apache is
running – and no one else here does either so basically I have to figure
this one out! I would like to, as you suggested, try and "get Apache to run
as a service under a user that can access the network resource".

Well, I have already described how to do this two posting ago (and the
advice from another user was to read the Apache documentation...):

1) Go to Win2003 desktop
2) Right-click on bottom, right part of desktop (right on top of the clock).
3) Select 'Task Manager', click Processes Tab, sort Image Name by clicking
tab.
4) Find 'apache.exe' or some variation of.
5) Look at the username associated with the process.

If this is 'System' or something type of special user (or a basic user
without network privileges extended to it), then you will need to modify
this by:

1) Locate the My Computer link on your desktop.
2) Right-click on top of the link, select "Manage", choose 'Services and
Applications', and select Services.
3) Find the apache service, double click to open properties, click on the
'Log On' tab, and see what user it is setup to use.

If this is a system account, I would think you would need to change this to
a network account, preferably one for which the password will not expire...
If apache is not running as a service, then you will need to determine how
it is starting up, and modify that to run under a different process with
modified user permissions.

I definitely agree about using non-mapped addresses and using the actual
Server Name addresses.

For ease on the eyes, mappings are great, but they are not reliable for
programming purposes, IMHO.

For the advanced PHP gurus on the list, is it accurate to characterize PHP
as relying on Apache for file manipulation? Is it accurately described as:

Process Request->PHP->Apache->[File System Poof!]->Apache->PHP->Process

??? Just making sure I have this characterization correct.

--
Jared Farrish
Intermediate Web Developer

Abraham Maslow: "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see
every problem as a nail." $$