On Wed, May 9, 2007 2:10 pm, bruce wrote:
> In looking for what's required fo a site, I'm trying to find
> docs/overview/mentors to talk to/etc,...
>
> Basically, I'm considering what's required in terms of
> hardware/apps/functionality for each server to be able to support a
> site/system of ~100,000/day

Not that this isn't entirely off-topic...

100,000 hits/day should be coordinated through a medium-sized hosting
service that promises multi-tier architecture and dynamic server arrays. At
3,000,000 hits/month, for perspective, Yahoo! and MySpace average about 15
times that, per day.

Google multi-tier architecture
Google dynamic server farm
Google server array
Google raid array

Much has been written about scalability of systems architecture.

Google scalable systems architecture

Web services push data from responder to caller.

Google n-tier web services
Google SOAP

If you're looking to implement something that you know will scale quickly
(like a porn site), hire someone. If you have months (or years or lead time)
and just feel a little masochistic, first read on server and raid arrays, to
get a good foundation. Different animals, but knowing how each works at
least superficially can help later.

What I suspect you need is a book on LAMP (www.oreilly.com).

--
Jared Farrish
Intermediate Web Developer

Abraham Maslow: "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see
every problem as a nail." $$