On 5/30/07, Angelo Zanetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dear all

We need to develop a system where we can upload really big files. IE 15
- 25 Mb.
So I know you can set the limit of the upload thats not a problem, I
know a problem that we might experience is that the browser might time
out. Is there any way around this? and also are there other problems I
might encounter?

Thanks in advance

angelo

I wouldn't recommend uploading big files through the browser, as the
HTTP protocol isn't designed for that. FTP is designed for that, and
if you can, use it :)

I have uploaded really big files with my browser, which sometimes take
several days to complete, and didn't time out, so I don't think it
will be a problem with relative new browsers. (I did with IE6, later
with FireFox on linux)

But, it's very annoying when you're at 90% of upload and your Internet
connection hangs for a few seconds, as that would kill the upload
process and you need to start over again.
If you have a lot of uploads at the same time, it might get your
system out of resources, as all uploads are stored in the RAM while
the user is uploading. So, if you have 100 people uploading, and they
all have already uploaded 10 MB of their file, you would have 1000MB
allocated. In contrast with FTP, as FTP will store the uploads
directly to the drive.

Tijnema