I have tried making a new node, inserting it before the old node then
removing the old node but I could not figure out how to get the
nodeValue to include the child nodes, so they get stripped out leaving
only the text value.

You might try something like this:

function replaceNode() {
        var inChoice = document.getElementById("grafCount").selectedIndex;
        var inText = document.getElementById("textArea").value;

        var newText = document.createTextNode(inText);
        var newGraf = document.createElement("p");
        newGraf.appendChild(newText);

        var allGrafs = nodeChangingArea.getElementsByTagName("p");
        var oldGraf = allGrafs.item(inChoice);

        nodeChangingArea.replaceChild(newGraf,oldGraf);
}

 tedd
--
-------