Larry Garfield wrote:
Hi all. I have a DocBook source[1] that I am processing into XHTML using the DocBook XSL[2] toolchain. That is, XSLT. I'm not doing a huge amount of customization on top of the default setup, either. Right now, I'm using the standard XSLT Java toolchain; Xalan, Xerces, XIncluder, and all of the various other Apache projects[3]. The problem is, well, it's Java, which means the classpaths and build environment and such break if I so much as sneeze at the wrong time. I'd love to be able to replace it with PHP's XSL parser[4], since I actually know PHP and its chances of breaking on every other Tuesday are slimmer, but I don't know if it has all of the functionality I'd need. Specifically, I need multi-file output and support for <xinclude: /> directives. Right now I'm using the Xalan multi-file output extensions, but I'm happy to switch to something else if it means eliminating the huge gobs of touchy Javascript I have. Does anyone know if that's doable with PHP's XSLT support (circa PHP 5.2, I run the server so can install whatever I need)? Has anyone tried doing this before? It's all offline processing, so performance isn't a huge issue. Thanks.

[1] http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/docbook.html
[2] http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/
[3] http://xml.apache.org/
[4] http://us.php.net/manual/en/ref.xsl.php