Robert Cummings wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 16:36 -0400, Daniel Brown wrote:
>>     Are you using Amarok on Windows, Linux, or other?  I have Amarok
>> 1.3.1 on KDE 3.4.2 on Mandriva 2006.0 Community on 2.6.12-12mdksmp on
>> an i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz w/ 1GB RAM on a desk with a
>> bunch of crap on it, and all it does is crash for me.  I use Totem
>> instead, occasionally using xine for audio, and usually for video
>> (different subject).  Just wondering how stable Amarok is for you.
>
> I'm running Amarok 1.4.3 (using KDE 3.5.5) on Ubuntu 6.10 (I'm actually
> a Gnome user). I used Mandrake up till 10.0, I'll never go back. My
> desktop is an Athlon 2400 with 2 gigs of memory (though consumption
> rarely goes past half gig unless I'm running several VMWare OSes at the
> same time). I started using it about 3 days ago, I've had a few crashes,
> but mostly when doing something major like re-scanning my collection
> (8000+). Had no trouble grabbing covers, creating playlists, editing
> 100s of tags within Amarok, etc. Only complaint really is that it's pig
> slow when switching to or sorting columns on large playlists (well the
> whole 8000 heheh).

I'm a Mandriva dev and would have to say that if you've not used it for
a while I think you'll be pleasently surprised these days. It's come a
long, long way since 10.0!

Also the older Amarok run by Daniel is faily unstable (I'm also a bit of
a KDE dev when I get a mo'!) is fairly old and bug ridden. Whatever your
distro, I'd upgrade your Amarok to the latest stable for the best
experience. FWIW, if you add your sources correctly you can just urpmi
your 2006.0 machine to 2007.1 relatively easily. I've done it on several
machines now (a couple of them remotely!).

Col