Sukhwinder Singh wrote:
You don't appear to have read what I said. A Java applet can use FTP to upload the file - PHP does not get involved in that part. Once the upload is complete the applet can POST to your PHP file giving it information like where it's put the file and this other information you need to give it so it can rename the file. This is the only bit PHP gets involved in and it doesn't involve trying to upload 4 gig over a machanism that was never designed for it.

Thanks again for replying.

I have read. I have been trying to find out way for last two days.
I can say about jupload and how it seems to work.
It uploads file to server in a temporary directory.
It has postURL parameter. Then it POSTS the data to php file.
Because it POSTS, the php configuration values comes into question.

Here is an example:

Settings in php.ini are 50M for upload_max_fisesize and 50M for post_max_size.
I used japplet  and  uploaded a 51.89 MB file.

This is what is in error log.

[08-Jun-2007 03:06:29] PHP Warning: POST Content-Length of 54414946 bytes exceeds the limit of 52428800 bytes in Unknown on line 0

[08-Jun-2007 03:06:29] PHP Notice: Undefined index: File0 in E:\projects\ice\post_test.php on line 13

File0 is the first file in $_FILES array, as POST fails I don't get that array.

I uploaded a 48 MB file and it worked without any problem.

Ok, I think I see where your confusion is coming from. I'm not suggesting that the applet I'm describing already exists - it would be something you'd have to write or commission someone to write for you.

Every existing file upload applet I've ever come across uses HTTP POST to upload the files, but this is not what you need. It will almost certainly have to be a bespoke solution.

Another way you might approach it would be to define a naming convention for uploaded files and accept them via normal FTP upload. The user then visits your website and fills in a form that will tell your PHP script where to find the file as well as giving it the other information it needs. Setting up a secure write-only FTP server is well documented on the net, but is well beyond the scope of this mailing list.

-Stut