I think you need to read up on how an HTTP POST request works when it's handled by PHP because some of what you've written there indicates that you don't quite have it. When you hit the upload button the browser makes a connection to the server and the PHP engine gets invoked to handle the request. The engine then reads the entire HTTP request, including the file data that is being uploaded. That temporary file is created by the PHP engine to temporarily store the incoming data. Only when the entire request has been read does the PHP engine start running your PHP script.

Yes I didn't know. But I learned by actully experimenting with it and discussing on this mailing list.
It is not everyday that you have to deal with such issues.

Sites like these calim that you can use your web browser to upload 10 gb files. http://www.sendyourfiles.com/features/?web-mail
But clients forget that they are using some kind of plugins.

That's the PHP timeout kicking in. There is another setting in php.ini (I forget what it's called) that tells it how long it is allowed to wait for the request to be read, but looking at that error I'm not convinced that's what's causing that timeout.

I think what you wanted to write was max_input_time.

It's very difficult to tell without seeing your script.

My script does nothing more than get the file information, move it and update the database.

Looks like I have to post that php's upload limit of 1.99 gb to php internal mailing list.

Definitely worth doing, but don't be surprised if you get the same reaction.

Yes I expect the same response :-). "Don't upload 4 gb files over http"

Thank you very much Stut!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stut" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>