On Wed, June 13, 2007 10:52 am, Christian Cantrell wrote:
> I'm pretty sure this code is thread safe, but I just want to be 100%
> sure.
> I have a class called ViewHelper with a static function called
> is_signed_in.
>  All it does is check the session for the existence of a particular
> variable, and if it's there, it returns true, otherwise false.
>
> Since the function is static, is there any way this code is not thread
> safe?
>  Is there any way I could be checking someone else's session if the
> requests
> are concurrent?

Well, I'm not sure how your ViewHelper could possibly screw things up,
but the $_SESSION variable is already thread-safe, unless you've
hacked up a custom session handler that isn't thread-safe...  In which
case you've got bigger problems than just this one function. :-v

$_SESSION gets a lock on the session data file at session_start which
is not released until session_*close

So instead off all that OOP stuff, if you just did:
if (isset($_SESSION['is_logged_in'])){
}
and used unset($_SESSION['is_logged_in']) to log somebody out, well,
you'd pretty much have the same functionality in a lot less lines of
code...

But, hey, I'm sure the ViewHelper has a lot of other Added Value, right?

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?