Ed,

Im not sure if OpenLDAP or other can use a different backed, such as MySQL.
I suspect there would be a server to support this, but it would almost
certainly define the table structure in the database of choice.  From the
sound of it there are ways to change the information model of X.500 (when
using OpenLDAP) to manipulate the structure of the internal database, but
telling the LDAP server to use a different database seems to be out of the
question. this, based upon some light research this morning.
if you want to expose an LDAP layer to clients of the CRM application you
would likely have to batch some sort of import process to a new LDAP server
installation.  Also, you would have to support synchronization of the data
in the LDAP servers database and the MySQL database of your CRM application
using the LDAP as an interface.
plus i dont think its too far off OP's topic, because this is something that
would have to be considered in the LDAP implementation he was curious about
in the first place.

-nathan

On 6/29/07, Edward Kay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 6/29/07, Jay Blanchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > As I understand it, LDAP and MySQL offer two different ways
> > of setting up a networked address book.
> > So I take it they can be compared as far as that is concerned.
> >
> > Actually, I normally run Linux, so Active Directory
> > would not be a priority for me.
> >
> > I didn't say LDAP was a database.
> > However, the principal usage of LDAP, as far as I can see
> > (by googling for LDAP) is in fact
> > to set up a network address book of some kind.
> > It may be used for other purposes,
> > but they are not really relevant to my enquiry.
> > [/snip]

PHP/MySQL/LDAP integration is something I've been thinking about for a
little while too.

I've built a CRM system in PHP with a MySQL database and would like the
contact info to be available to our users in their email programs. LDAP
seems a good (the only?) option for this due to support in Outlook etc.

From my understanding, LDAP is just a defined protocol for accessing
directory data. The data must be stored somewhere else, in my case the
MySQL
database.

In order to access the data using a LDAP, you need to set-up an LDAP
server
(e.g. OpenLDAP). What I haven't looked into much yet is how to interface
the
LDAP server to the MySQL database...

I know this isn't too helpful to the OP's question - just wanted to
register
my interest in the topic and (hopefully) stimulate conversation.

Edward