Nathan Nobbe wrote:
>> On 6/29/07, Jay Blanchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Twas me. LDAP is not a database it is a protocol for accessing a
>> directory service which is the abstraction layer for the actual data
>> repository namespace.
>
> And an LDAP server will typically house said repository namespace.  Like
> OpenLDAP using BerkDB.
> I think thats where people are getting confused.  The difference between
> LDAP as a protocol and LDAP servers,
> which incorporate the protocol and the directory storage.
> (please correct me if im wrong [like i had to ask :)])

You are totally correct. That's why I posted to Jay's original reply as
it wasn't particularly helpful in that it basically said "LDAP is not a
database" and left it at that.

For the vast majority of scenarios, you can just consider "LDAP" (when
referencing an LDAP server) as a database of sorts, just with a
different query interface to std SQL :)

Lots of things integrate with LDAP and since deploying it in my office
we've continually found new uses for it due to extensive support in lots
of applications, web based and desktop alike.

Col