chris

for your suggestion to work, the internal array pointer of $array
would first have to be set to point to the current element ($index).

but how do you do this?

this may seem like childs play, but i actually can't find any
documented php function for this. it would be something like:

array_set_internal_pointer($array, $index);

On 12/07/07, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Olav Mørkrid wrote:
> let's say we have the following associative array:
>
> $array = array(
>  "red" => "ferrari",
>  "yellow" => "volkswagen",
>  "green" => "mercedes",
>  "blue" => "volvo"
> );
>
> then we have a current index into the array:
>
> $index = "yellow";
> $current = $array[$index];
>
> now: how do i get the key of the next array element (in this case "green")?
>
> $next = ?

Funnily enough:

$next = next($array);

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.next.php