kelvin,

attached is a very simple diagram i put together when i got home
illustrating a possible relationship between the main components in an xsl
templated php application w/ a database back-end.  as ive mentioned there
are other configurations as well.  primarily the main options in the overall
relationship are rendering the xhtml on the client or server side and
building xml data in memory or reading in xml files from disk.  also, this
diagram does not take into account any sort of validation using DTDs or
XMLSchemas.  i am currently vaguely familiar w/ those technologies and
therefore dont know how to incorporate them into the image.
actually to be quite honest i dont think the would really be used when
generating a page to send to the client.  really those are important if you
expose an API and allow clients to send data to your application.  then it
would be handy to validate that xml w/ a dtd or xml schema.   the other
thing as i mentioned before is i cannot see a reason to create xml
data while processing a GET or POST request from a client; it would just be
an extra step with no apparent benefit as far as i can tell.

-nathan