On 7/13/07, Micky Hulse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hey Richard, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. :)

Richard Lynch wrote:
> http://php.net/

Yikes! I guess it was one of those RTFM question/answers! Lol. :D

> #2 sounds awfully bogus to me...

Yeah... Hmm, now I am starting to wonder where I heard/read that. Maybe
it was a co-worker. I am glad I asked here for clarification.

> 1 and 3 sure ought to cover it though.

Yep yep. Sounds good to me. Good enough reasons to think twice about
using short tags.

Also, FYI for those interested, a list member mentioned (off-list) that
shorthand tags "are considered by many to be deprecated" and have been
on the "verge of removal from the PHP language a few times in the past."

Interesting stuff. :)

Thanks again Richard and all.

Cheers,
Micky

--
Wishlists: <http://snipurl.com/1gqpj>
    Switch: <http://browsehappy.com/>

   To my knowledge (and even a quick peek at
http://www.php.net/ini.core), there is no indication that
short_open_tags is deprecated, nor that it's "been on the verge of
removal" at any point.  I don't want to start a flame war, but it
sounds like you've been given some bad information.  In fact, removing
the short_open_tags core directive would not only cause probably more
than half of existing scripts to break (that's just an educated guess,
of course), but would also completely eradicate the PHP core feature
of shorthand output:

<?php
   echo "This is output.\n";
?>

   .... versus:

<?="This is output.\n"?>

   Also note that, with shorthand output, the echoed output does not
need a semicolon at the end if it's a single line.  I generally do it
out of habit, but for the purpose of illustration here, I omitted the
semicolon.  Additionally, a disclaimer should be made in favor of the
anti-short_open_tags people, where the three lines can safely coexist
on one.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272