this will remove the www plus the top level domain
<?php

 $site = 'www.somesite.home.com';

 $site = str_replace('www.', '', $site);
 $site = explode('.', $site);
 $site = array_pop($site);
 $site = implode('.', $site);

  // somesite.home
?>

this will remove the first host and the top level domain.
<?php

 $site = 'www.somesite.home.com';

 $site = explode('.', $site);
 $site = array_pop($site);
 $site = array_shift($site);
 $site = implode('.', $site);

  // somesite.home
?>

--

 Chris Lee
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Richard Kurth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

 I am trying to figure out how to pull data out of a string. This is
 driving me crazy. I figure an if statement of some sort would work but
 I'm not sure how to structure it.

I know how to get what I want if it is just
$fullhostname = "www.domain.net";
$exp = explode(".", $fullhostname);

$host = $exp[0];
$domain = $exp[1];