figured it out...

the domain in question's dns is set to CNAME to the main domain on that
server, whereas, the remaining domains are just using the A record with the
IP. I changed one of the other domains to use the CNAME and it did the same
thing. So looks like thats the culprit.

I'll have to comb through the sendmail configuration and find out if I can
reverse this behavior.