On 7/13/07, Tijnema <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Well, that's why AJAX is there, you do a check to a server to see if
there's any new data to parse, if so, then you update (and probably
only one or two divs on your site, and not the whole page)

I understand the use of AJAX to only update a subset of the DOM on a page,
rather than rebuild the entire page.  What i was getting at though is
eliminating
the busy-wait model by using the Observer pattern to push changes to the
client
only when the data has changed on the server side.  This is decidedly more
efficient in general and is more commonly referred to as *event driven
programming*
or *data driven programming*.  it sounds like the only way to implement such
a model
over HTTP is by keeping the connection open; which in some circumstances may
be appropriate.
I have to say though, I never thought of using busy waiting to update just a
portion
of the DOM.  It seems like almost a no-brainier, but since i havent worked
w/ AJAX
much it just never crossed my mind.  That sounds like the most practical
approach in
general.

-nathan

On 7/13/07, Nathan Nobbe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 7/13/07, Robert Cummings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > This isn't possible since you can't request a connection to the
client's
> > machine. Only the other way around.
>
> hmm...  in that case perhaps the open connection could be employed and
> the feature used selectively; only on certain pages for instance ?
> im thinking mainly of a monitoring page; like an app that shows a
servers
> state,
> or stock quotes or something.
> the main reason i dont like a javascript timer refreshing the page is
> sometimes you
> dont want the whole page refreshed; especially when halfway through
filling
> out a
> form on the page ;)
>
> -nathan

Well, that's why AJAX is there, you do a check to a server to see if
there's any new data to parse, if so, then you update (and probably
only one or two divs on your site, and not the whole page)

Keeping connection open isn't quite bad for sites that are visited a
lot, as for each connection, a new port is opened to handle a client
connection. While you think you're connected to port 80, it is
actually redirected to another port (mostly from 3000 onwards). So, if
you have a lot of visiters, you might reach the limit of ports, 65536
(0-65535). Some of them are already in use, so you end up to have a
limit of about 65530 connections to keep open. For a normal site this
isn't a problem, but if you count on shared hosts, with let's say 20
sites, then they can all handle about 3200 connections. Half of the
users has probably more then one window open, which means another
connection. So you end up to have a maximum of about 2000 visiters at
same time for each site.

Tijnema

Vote for PHP Color Coding in Gmail! -> http://gpcc.tijnema.info