You guys confirmed my understanding, it can't be done in a reasonable manner.

I'm adding a simple CAPTCHA to an existing page and don't want to bother tracing the code that modifies the session buffer. It's obvious that the code is resetting the buffer, so it messes up my saving of the security number. Obviously, I don't want it exposed with GET or shown in the HTML source.

I'll just make my own simple session-like buffer with a tmpfile() outside the
webspace.

Al wrote:
Is there a way to instigate 2 separate named session buffers? They will contain different data.