On Monday 16 July 2007 20:51, Richard Davey wrote:

> Someone ought to create a 'carbon footprint per email sent'
> calculator. Total up how much energy is literally wasted in the
> transmission (and consequent receiving) of just one message. I bet if
> you add it all up it'd put a printed book, which afterall *can* come
> from a sustainable resource, into perspective.

I think no matter which way you dice it, sending 1 email is a lot more
energy efficient than printing 1 book. Just because the tree itself is
renewable, the *energy* used in cutting it down, turning it into paper,
turning the paper into a book and all the transporting in between, is
most likely not renewable.

--
Crayon