I have an old PHP page without sessions. When the user submits the form, and then clicks the browser back button, the prior form data is retained.

If I now have that PHP page require another page that uses session_start, when the user submits the form, and then clicks the browser back button, the prior form data is lost. In fact, I noticed that without the session, the web page does not reload from the server and is positioned at the bottom of the page where I left off by the "Submit" form button. With sessions, the page actually reloads from the server, so of course the form fields are empty. Is this normal behavior? Can I have the page not reload from the server? I thought I could pass the buck onto the user's browser setting, but the onus is upon my code.

I do not want to modify all my old pages to use this technique for every field http://marc.info/?l=php-general&m=118200948606904&w=2 simply because I want 1 session variable passed around.

I even modified my code to check for isset($_SESSION) to not call session_start again, but no joy.

Thanks.