There is a very very important difference. Stealing/theft is a criminal offence. Copyright infringement is not. For you to be prosecuted for copyright infringement the injured party must bring a civil case.

This is a fundamental difference. The reason everyone thinks the terms theft and stealing cover it is because, as I've previously asserted, bodies like the MPAA and RIAA keep referring to it as such. Just because they do that doesn't make it any more accurate.

-Stut

Although on one level, I say we go with it. I'd love to see those executives at Sony who authorized the rootkits thrown in the slammer for 'breaking-and-entering'