> Thanks Lars
>
> I saw that one already but unfortunately, it doesn't help as it
> requires 3 inputs . What I'm shooting for is an 'is_date' function
> that returns true or false with no prior knowledge of what a variable
> might contain.
>
> Ken
>
> On Jul 25, 2007, at 10:08 AM, Lars Haßler wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > there is a function to check a valid date: http://de3.php.net/
> > manual/de/function.checkdate.php
> >
> > may help
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I wrote a serialization function to turn arbitrary PHP variables
> >> into Macintosh plist compatible XML but see that there is no
> >> "is_date" tester as there is for bool, object, array etc. Is there
> >> a relatively simple (and robust) way to detect if a variable is a
> >> date? For example:
> >>
> >> $person = array('name'=>'bob', 'sex'=>'male', 'date_of_birth'=>
> >> $someDateHere);
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help
> >>
> >> Ken

You won't find one. This is because PHP does not have a native type for
dates..

If you have a string e.g. 23-Mar-1985, you can use regexp to match or
extract the various parts. You could then use the checkdate function to
ensure it is a valid date (e.g. not 31st Feb or similar).

Edward

PS: Please don't top post on mailing lists.