On Fri, July 27, 2007 8:20 am, Eric Butera wrote:
> Not everyone has the option to do that.  Plus I think it is
> unintuitive to have things outside of your actual "web site."  You can
> disallow traffic with Apache fairly easily if you're paranoid of such
> things.

I used to do this.

Until one day I tar-ed up a site to move to a new webhost.

tar -cf htdocs.tar htdocs

Then I un-tar-ed it, of course:

tar -xf htdocs.tar

For about 15 minutes there, *ALL* the files I didn't want public, were
public.

I caught the mistake only because something else was broken as well, a
dynamic PHP-generated image.

Now I don't do that anymore, and I put anything private outside the
webtree.

If your host doesn't give you a directory outside the webtree, find a
new host that does :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?