On Tuesday 31 July 2007 02:45, tedd wrote:

> Well, when I *use* my neighbor's car without his authorization it's
> called "stealing"

If your intention was not to keep the car on a permenant basis then you
would probably be prosecuted for joyriding rather than stealing.

> >How? Nobody is not being permanently deprived of the content you are
> >using in an unauthorised fashion.
>
> Of course you're being permanently deprived  -- I described "how"
> above.

The whole phrase as quoted above is "being permanently deprived of the
_content_". What you described does NOT deprive the author/originator of
his/her content.

> Certainly, stealing an idea is possible -- that's the reason behind
> patent laws and laws protecting intellectual properties. "Ideas" are
> the foundation of advancement for our society and of course they can
> be stolen. It so common it's a clique.

Unfortunately the present patent and copyright laws are much abused and
instead of promoting advancement in society they hinder it.

> I seldom look to the law to determine what's right and wrong -- the
> law is certainly not my moral compass. Besides, the law has enough
> problems determining what's right and wrong itself.

But you've been forever quoting points of law to backup your arguments as
to what is right or wrong.

> OK, then you think about this -- you are stealing the right of
> control OVER the item you took. Clearly, after you steal the item,
> then you can do anything you want with it; you can give it away; use
> it for your own use; publish it on a web site free for everyone to
> download -- is that not true? As such, you DO have control over the
> item you stole and thus have stolen control.

How about if you BUY the item in question, does it mean you have BOUGHT
control, and hence you're allowed to give it away, sell it etc.

--
Crayon