Hi Dave,

> PHP general list,
>
> This is probably obvious to people who are good at PHP, but I'm
>
> I have a PHP based CMS (content management system) built, which has
> grown and become quite robust. It's now spread out over about 30 files,
> and each file represents one class within the object oriented design.
> Each are a couple hundred lines of code, and two or three of the most
> critical classes are over a thousand lines of code.

It may just be a 'dave' thing but my stuff does that too :-)

> While first building it, I didn't really anticipate quite that many
> files. What I did is have a file called "includes.php", which list all
> the files to be included. Then I in turn included "includes.php" at the
> beginning of my "index.php" file. Every page request passes through the
> "index.php" file, so that basically means every single file is included
> at the start of every new page request.

Ahh the 'dave' thing returns :-)

> I'm using Zend Studio, which has a "profile" option, which shows how
> long it takes for my PHP scripts to complete a request. It has a
> breakdown showing percentages of which scripts are using that processing
> time.

Real dave's use vi & top :-P

> My second question is: Is there a systematic way of determining how to
> incrementally include files that people use? Or is it just a constant
> process of testing and checking?
>
> Thank you for any advice.

What version of PHP are you using ?  I moved over to 5 and it has a nice
cute feature :-

<http://uk3.php.net/__autoload>

which basically only loads classes when they are required.  PHP 5 has
some other nice to have features and will cause you a bit of work if
you migrate to it BUT it is worth the effort especially in the light of
888 :-)

As for your performance problems, the times are heavily dependant on the
hardware and underlying OS & server load etc. without further info,
diagnosing problems will be dificult.

TTFN

Dave
php/general-2007-07-31.tx                      php-general [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Dave Restall, Computer Nerd, Cyclist, Radio Amateur G4FCU, Bodger          |
| Mob +44 (0) 7973 831245      Skype: dave.restall             Radio: G4FCU  |
| email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     Web : Not Ready Yet :-(       |