Turns out that objects returned from SQL queries contain two parts for every field, one with a string key and one with an index key. Adding an "is_numeric" test on the keys allows you to filter out the numeric keys if you want to. For example:

foreach ($row as $key => $value)
{
        if (!is_numeric($key))
        {