Finally I have the green light to get some separation of roles/duties.

First there was just me.  "Web Programmer", yet all web related hats.
Then there was the "Server Administrator", and me, the "Web Developer" (sort of like peers). Although the admin doesn't like to change the server settings with recompiles, etc. Now there is also a "Project Manager" (over both of us) that is still studying project management in school and hasn't programmed in years. And is a joke when it come to getting requirements. But at least I'm grooming him to take on gathering requirements while I code.

How do you recommend duties be separated if we can add more staff? The US Salary post (which I did not want to hijack) listed many tasks, but how specialized can the duties be reduced?

Originally my thoughts were for 2 positions to report to me:
Presentation/GUI/Designer (let's say Web Designer)
Web Programmer
But these 2 will probably be direct reports to the "Project Manager".

Even if I continue as Architect and Developer (according to Sun Java certification definitions), the Web Programming part would still be PHP, Perl, *NIX, MySQL, MSSQL, Javascript, HTML, CSS, Ajax, JSON, Security, Testing, Version Control, and possibly Java. Did I miss anything?

Can I really have a PHP Programmer who doesn't do Javascript, Ajax, and JSON? (With the intent to low-ball the salaries so we can have 2 more bodies). I suppose the Web Designer can do the HTML and CSS, and the Web Programmer can just use certain CSS selectors defined by the Web Designer?

I still feel like I'll be doing all the above except html and css.

How should we separate the roles?
And what should their salaries be?

Please advise.

Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and moreĀ….then map the best route! http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&ss=yp.bars~yp.pizza~yp.movie%20theater&cp=42.358996~-71.056691&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=950607&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01