Daniel Brown wrote:
On 8/7/07, Richard Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, August 7, 2007 1:25 pm, Kevin Waterson wrote:
Im looking for a way to get the domain from an email address.
Not sub domains, just the domain, so
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
would return
example.com.mn

similarly, the address [EMAIL PROTECTED] would return
example.com

perhaps an array of tld's, then strip the tld off the end and anything
before that and the next "." is the domain?

also, somebody told me .co.uk was a tld, but I cannot see it listed
http://www.iana.org/root-whois/index.html
I think you're in trouble...

The "rules" for what is or isn't a TLD have changed over time.

I did see a nice article the other day in the RFCs about some
pragmatic ways to do this "right" without killing yourself, or coding
something that's bound to break within a very short time.  Don't know
the RFC# offhand though, but I got the feeling that it was pretty
recent...

The LAST thing you want to do is hard-code the list of known TLDs from
today, because that will change too often.

.co.uk is a TLD, afaik...

    My understanding was that .co.uk and like domains were still SLDs,
but where a TLD wasn't available for registration under the ccTLD
format for the respective country.

This is just terminology, but to make it clear... .co.uk is a ccTLD not an SLD and .uk is *not* a TLD. The IANA website has lots of info on this stuff.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/