On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 20:52 -0500, Jay Blanchard wrote:
> If there was a best practices book would you buy it? (I am showing
> complete disregard for the thread on copyright infringement v. theft.)
> Or do you rely on other sources like this list, articles, etc to derive
> your own set of practices? Thanks for indulging me.

The team that delivers the Chisimba framework (http://avoir.uwc.ac.za),
has also developed our own best practices, as well as documentation
standards and coding standards. These standards are pretty much in line
with most of the large projects out there (I have never needed to look
at Drupal, so I cannot comment there), but I am willing to bet that
there isn't much of a difference.

We publish our coding and doc standards, as well as a bunch of HOWTO's
etc to get started, under a CC BY-SA license, so that if people would
like to adopt that, or build on it, they are free to do so.

I would not mind seeing at least *some* homogeneity in PHP code, across
projects, but I still don't think that *all* projects need stick to the
same standards - this will ultimately stifle creativity, which is what
PHP is all about anyway.

Just my R0.02

--Paul

All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer
http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/uwc2006/content/mail_disclaimer/index.htm