Chris,

thanks for your reply

it sounds like apache does allow the use of a script to handle PUT requests

In fact, Apache handles PUT exactly like it handles the POST method. That
is, it supports it, but in order for it to do anything useful you need to
supply a suitable CGI program.

getting php to handle PUT requests is probably not too complicated..  there
is this other constraint, imposed by the protocol, that is noteworthy:

Another difference is that the POST method can be used in response to a
form, while the PUT method can only contain a single data item.

so, perhaps, in designing a page intended to allow the user to create a new
datum in an application, the data elements should probably be sent delimited
by / in the url; then parsing the url would provide the script w/ the
elements it needed to create the  new datum in the application.

this helps me to  understand the basics of using PUT and DELETE in a php
application, but im still unclear as to how PUT and DELETE methods can be
invoked on the server from a browser.  to be specific, is a client side
scripting technology like javascript or otherwise mandatory in order to
invoke PUT and DELETE from the browser, or is there some way to invoke these
methods on the server natively ??

from the sound of it; PUT and DELETE wont work well when using a browser to
interact w/ a server, it seems like they are mostly supplied for
programmatic interaction only, but that sounds odd to me....  i wonder what
the intended use of PUT and DELETE was when they were first created and
added to the HTTP.

-nathan