Im not sure either what you mean. you want to know if a var is an array ?

if (is_array($maybe_array))

if your looking for a way to transverse thought the array, use foreach()

function work_on_array($value, $index)
{
    if (is_array($index))
        foreach($index as $pos => $val)
            $value[$pos] = some_func($value[$pos]);
    else
        $value[$index] = some_func($value[$index]);

    return $value;
}

this what your looking for ?

--

 Chris Lee
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Dennis Gearon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
I want to pass in a scalar int, or an array of ints (indices) to a
function in a class. The scalar or array will be a class variable.

Without knowing the max size of each index, or the number of indices,
(as is required is most other languages), I can't figure out how to
access the array in a flexible fashion.  What I **WANT** to use as a
clue is whether the passed $index value is a scalar, or how many
elements are in the array.

examples:

function work_on_array( $value, $index ){
  blah to $this->value_s_holder;
   ..
   ..
}

work_on_array( 7, array(4,5) );
work_on_array( 23, 1 );

The number of INDICES will not change during program execution, although
I do not want to have to predict the range of the scalar/indices.

any ideas?