What you're proposing, is to actually display some content on another page
then were the content is originally intended? I'm sorry, but I would
consider that 'bad practice'. To me, it makes perfect sense that you don't
want to leave the user on the page where login was originally handled. For
various reasons. One very obvious would be the 'refresh thing', where your
browser asks the user if they want to send the form again. Quite annoying.
Then, what about bookmarks? ...

I would definately go for the Location: header solution!