Because that means messing with the recipient list - that's donkey work your client should do, hence my use of reply-to-all.
Wouldn't gmail thread it but still have 2 copies?
I could send email TO/CC/BCC the list to a specific folder, but I'd still get the copy to me directly in another folder. What should I train my donkey to do? I reply to all, then I only let the list address survive and make sure it is in the TO field.

Attacking a server with the express intention of preventing it from working correctly is in most countries. It's the technological equivalent of getting prosecuted for assault because you defended your property from a burglar.
Now I'm thinking I should inform the attacking server of the situation by shutting them down until they address the issue. It may need new laws on the books to cover my ass. But what do you think? Either a "YOU'VE BEEN PWND BY THE GUARDIANS because you are either running hijacked services for an attacker, (likely on an MS Windows flavor -- upgrade your OS to a non-MS OS), or you are the actual attacker. When you patch your security holes, THE GUARDIANS will consider your petition to re-enter the superhighway." or some such. If the HTTP_USER_AGENT hasn't been spoofed, they all seem to be Opera/9.0 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en), since I began tracking. If the server could be shutdown and reported to an authority that would re-evaluate their access to the net, it could help catch the attacker or in the least, stop attacks on other "innocents".

Well, if the hijacked service is down, it will "hurt" the attacker. If the "innocent's" server is down, they could learn about the need to be a better net citizen while at the same time not providing services to the attacker.

The point I was trying to make is that your first step should be to find out why he has that position, educate him as to the benefits of the CAPTCHA and the complications that any other approach might have.
He holds that position because he does not want the user to have to enter any additional keystrokes or mouse clicks (or think more?) while they are becoming a sales lead. Not unlike your repulsion to cut and paste to send only to the list perhaps?