i know this thread started off about a performance comparison, but it is
already grown into much more.
suffice it to say that i consider the oop capacity of php4 nothing more than
a stepping stone on the way
to php5.  i dont know of all the oop languages out there.  mostly i have
worked w/ c++ and java
(and a little .net and a tiny bit of delphi) when it comes to oop.
all of those languages have ppp; which i consider to be fundamental to an
oop language; but alas
php is not an oop language; it merely supporst features of an oop language.
 per statements on php.net.

then again javascript is supposedly oop, and i know it doesnt support ppp;
so we would really have to
dig deeper for a definition of 'basic oop' / 'true oop' etc.

from a personal standpoint i have been leraning how to leverage the power of
the interface construct
for 1.  on top of that, well i think no ppp is madness... but again, thats
nothing formal :)

-nathan