I run pretty simple mail group distribution program that uses php/mysql and the mail() function. I adapted it from an open source script. Most of the time it runs well. But it does take a while to run through all 150 members of the list. So I'm half glad that I don't have a list of 1000 people or more.

Any way to optimize the mail function in terms of speed? Probably too vague a question, sorry.

/ml

At 07:50 AM 9/2/2007, you wrote:
Stut wrote:
> Unless your script is actually hanging for the 4-6 hours this problem
> has nothing to do with PHP.
>
> How mail is delivered depends on the OS you are using, but usually it
> will get passed to a local MTA which then handles delivering it, at
> which point PHP involvement ends.
>
> I suggest you look at the Received headers in the messages your getting.
> You should be able to see which server is causing the delay.

Yup, 100% agree that it's not PHP.

Reasons for delays can include a dodgy ISP just taking a long time to
process things, or more typically some form of "greylisting" e.g. one
MTA deliberately telling the delivering MTA to P*ss off for a while -
compliant servers will resend the mail after a while at which point it
will be accepted. This is a spam prevention technique. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting

Col