A university, which hypes the need for an education, charges a fortune
for it (causing people to go into massive debt to get it), and then
turns around an offers less than a living wage is hypocritical.

"Becoming university staff takes a couple years, after which salaries
are competivitive with the going rates."  So for the first couple of
years you get taken advantage of and then, maybe, you will get paid
more!

That is just not fair.